HomeFront is the consummate people-powered program.
Want to meet the silent heroes in your community?
This is one of the most rewarding ways to participate with HomeFront since many evaluators get to see everything come full circle when a home that they evaluated receives assistance. A HomeFront Evaluator feels like a real-life Santa Claus, making a list of the repair worries that keep low-income families up at night.
- Evaluators are needed in every community where we serve.
- September through December — flexible hours (weekdays, weeknights, weekends) for as much time as Evaluators have to spare. Each home visit lasts approx. one hour.
Every year the HomeFront program receives approximately 700 requests from homeowners in need. In order to consider a homeowner for assistance a visit must be conducted with the homeowner and the home's repair needs must be documented.
HomeFront staff provides a brief training session to make volunteers completely comfortable with this role.
- Thank the applicants for entrusting their home repair concerns with us and put them at ease.
- Answer basic questions on the program for the applicant based on training provided by HomeFront.
- Assess applicants and their homes for repair assistance through the HomeFront program.
- Contact homeowner applicant families to schedule appointments for a site visit and walk through of their homes.
- Explain the HomeFront program and its procedures to homeowners.
- Complete a written Homeowner Evaluation Packet for each homeowner interviewed with detailed notes on all areas of the home including, but not limited to windows, walls, doors and exterior repairs that might be needed.
- Submit written recommendations by the end of December through the Homeowner Evaluation Packet related to the homeowner's repair needs and program requirements.
If you are interested in joining our network of Home Visitor/Evaluators, please contact us.
Want to work “behind the scenes” with other good-hearted neighbors?
HomeFront is looking for volunteers to help in our Stamford office. Extra help around the office will enable us to repair more homes for families in need. We are interested in someone on a year round basis that could come in for any two-hour window between 9am–5pm Monday through Friday. Duties would include phone calls, data entry, mailings and general office support. Any help would be greatly appreciated in our office and throughout the community.
Are you happiest volunteering outside of an office?
HomeFront's Bethel warehouse is looking for volunteers to help us to organize materials that will come to the aid of local families in need. Heavy lifting may or may not be required. Feel free to join us Monday-Friday, between 9am and 5pm, for any 3–5 hour time period.
For more information about these volunteer opportunities, please click here to fill out our Volunteer Interest Sheet, call toll-free at (800) 887-HOPE (4673) or locally in Stamford at (203) 658-9500. Ask to speak with our Administrative Officer, Stephanie Simms.